Or, I could run into a wall - the little lioness

Or, I could run into a wall

So, I can’t get daily contacts. My right eye and my left eye have both apparently gotten a lot worse over the past 2 years, and so I have to up my prescription by an amount that the optomestrist says may make me feel a little queasy and so I should ease my way into it. Plus the lenses alone will cost between $327 and $476, depending on the type of frames I have them put into.

I’m going to trial the contacts still, but not really sure what I should be doing glasses-wise. I will be poor, regardless.

Meh.

Comments

comments

0 comments for “Or, I could run into a wall

1. Kelkel
    March 27, 2008 at 8:38 pm

WTF?? Why so much?

2. March 27, 2008 at 10:05 pm

I think it’s the amount my astigmatism has worsened? The higher price is for lenses if I can smaller frames, I can get away with the cheaper ones in fames like my current ones.

3. Shelley
    March 28, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Small frames suck! I’ve been trying for over a year to replace my small frames with ones that give some kind of decent coverage, but stupid frames are the fashion right now so it’s impossible. My current frames make me dizzy when I’m typing or working in the lab, I keep looking out the sides and out the bottom and can always always see the damn frame in the way. Bah.

But yeah, my glasses lenses cost something similar. Once your eyes get bad enough you need to go for special refractory ones to prevent but thick lenses and astigmatism just makes it worse. Good lenses are a lot nicer to look through though and once we hit 40 our eyes will go longsighted and good again.

Can you get two weekly contacts? That’s what I wear and I have astigmatism and am really rather short sighted (-4.5 in one eye, 1.75 in the other) and the two weeklies seem to work fine. I wear them anywhere from once to six times per week and don’t need to do anything special to look after them, just store in good solution. I don’t rub them or anything (bad Shelley!).

4. March 28, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I think I can get two weeklies… I wouldn’t want to get monthlies, because I don’t like them sitting there that long if it say takes me more than three months to wear them :p

Will my eyes REALLY get better, or will I need to go all bifocal?

5. Shelley
    March 29, 2008 at 11:24 am

My Dad’s eyes got better and he got to go without glasses for about ten years through his forties. Now he wears bifocals I think. It doesn’t always happen that way but it’s what I’m aiming for (not that I can do anything about it but still).

Two weeklies should still work for your purposes. I always wore one monthly and one two weekly for a month and never had a problem (I have a history of wearing my lenses longer than I should). At times I had them both for two months without issue and no noticeable difference between the two types. Beyond two months sitting around or one months wear the two weekly one did start to get thin and scratchy, but that’s already well longer than it was designed for. I’m getting two weeklies for both eyes now and they’re fancy, silicon hydrogel or something, and are supposed to feel really nice and last really well even when I’m not wearing them very often. What I’m hoping is that they’ll feel so good that I can stop wearing my stupid glasses so much and thus not care how well they store. Glasses and la work are not combining well this year.

6. March 31, 2008 at 7:15 am

I think I’ll drop my gasses in to be made up this week, and then do the contacts thing next. :) Other friends are telling me similar things about contacts… yay! :)