A Trilingual Wedding ~ the little lioness

A Trilingual Wedding

How do you incorporate a Polish groom, a Japanese bride, their family and friend into an Australian wedding?

(Peace fingers!)

For starters, the service was at a Polish Catholic church, in English and Polish.

Had to the get pic
At one stage all five Japanese girls were snapping away.

Radek and Mayu's Wedding
The bridesmaids wore Kimonos.

(Then the Polish relatives feed the guests up on cakes.)

The you head up to the top of red hill to On Red, with its gorgeous view of Canberra, provide Sake on the table, serve Polish vodka through the night, do all the speeches in English and Japanese. Oh and serve New Zealand wine. Cos that’s the Australian thing to do ;) (Australia loves its Marlborough Sav Blancs)

Radek and Mayu's Wedding

(apologies for the dark photos later in the night)

Radek and Mayu's Wedding

Dinner was a degustation of 5 courses (with a choice of 2 desserts)

Radek and Mayu's Wedding
Pan seared scallops with apple, avocado & wasabi puree, shaved fennel, tomato salsa & lamb prosciutto (this was yum!)

Radek and Mayu's Wedding
Totellini of goats cheese with prawns, tea soaked raisins, coutes, brown butter and percorino (wasn’t fussed on this one, but I did pass over the cheese topping to Rish, which may have gotten rid of some of the flavour)

Radek and Mayu's Wedding
Roasted fillet & tartare belly of atlantic salmon with waldorf salad, tomato sorbet &; garlic tuille

Polish Vodka or Japanese Sake
The Polish Vodka came around for toasts

Radek and Mayu's Wedding
Veal loin with creamy mash, garlic puree, roast vine ripened tomato with white anchovy & kalamata olive salsa (some weren’t fussed on the anchovy and olive salsa, but it was right to my taste!)

Radek and Mayu's Wedding
Passion fruit curd with meringue, pineapple & mint salso, line syrup & sour cream ice cream

Comments

comments

11 comments for “A Trilingual Wedding

1. February 21, 2010 at 11:22 am

Beautiful! THey did such a lovely job incorporating all of the cultures, and believe me I know how hard that can be!!

I especially love what they did with the food- we had a hard time trying to incorporate the different culture into the food served at our wedding and it was definitely more “Aussie” than “Japanese…although there was little sushi as nibblies during cocktail hour!

ps: The bridesmaids I believe are in Yukata- which is like a summer, cotton version of a kimono, often worn at festivals and fireworks here in Japan.
    .-= Lulu´s last blog ..Two months… =-.

2. February 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Oh! From the guests to the setting to the food, this whole wedding is just beautiful! Sigh, makes me wish more of my friends would get married…

3. February 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

what a stunning wedding. Beats the Aussie version of chicken or beef and pav!

4. February 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for the clarification Lulu :)

5. February 22, 2010 at 12:35 am

Gorgeous wedding! I love the detail on top of the cakes and the fact that they had multiple cakes! :)
    .-= Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella´s last blog ..Green Papaya Salad with Prawns =-.

6. February 22, 2010 at 6:58 am

@ Lorraine – the flower girl kept sticking her fingers in the bottom layer.

7. February 22, 2010 at 8:19 am

Oooooh that all looks so wonderful! The location, the food, the flowers, the cakes…..GORGEOUS!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..7 things…. =-.

8. February 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Woah what a cake!!
    I’m glad all cultures could come together for a joyous occasion =D
    .-= Iron Chef Shellie´s last blog ..Week 14 – The Cookbook Challenge: Sushi =-.

9. February 28, 2010 at 10:57 pm

wow, what a gorgeous affair. Cant help but laugh at the peace fingers
    .-= Maria@TheGourmetChallenge´s last blog ..Grilled Chicken with Cannellini and Garlic Puree =-.

10. Jen Walpole
    April 21, 2011 at 9:31 am

Ooh, I know it is an old post but I just have to comment since I’m a bit of a Japanophile and my husband is Polish. (I also wanted to incorporate Aussie stuff in my wedding so we served NZ Sauv Blanc :)

I’m wondering if the Polish contingent sang the Sto lat song? You would know if they did as basically the guests sing the song, everyone has to take a shot. It’s the traditional Polish wedding drinking game!

Oh and both you and Lulu are right re the kimono/yukata. Yukata are kimono and Japanese will refer to them as summer kimono. Actually kimono simply means clothes, since basically that is what was worn in the old days. The word origin is “thing to wear” Ki is “to wear” and mono is “thing/object”

Oh and when you do go to Japan (checked out your about page) use rakuten to book accommodation, it’s what every Japanese person uses and gives great rates and the best part is now it is in English, too!

• April 27, 2011 at 11:22 am

Ooh great tip re the accomodation site. Now, if only I can remember that down the track!!