Mother’s Day Classic (planning ahead?)

November 2, 2010 · 9 comments

Okay. So one of my 30 Before 30 goals is to run 10km, and I figured the MDC is just as good a time as any to aim for. I don’t need to do the couch to 5k, I can go 5k, and will be doing a 5km fun run this Saturday, it’s that 10km hurdle that freaks me out. TWICE around the bridge to bridge of LBG? Meeps!

So, currently I’m just working up in general, the general gym stamina stuff, throwing in runs with some hills to push myself a bit. Just keep going. Part of it’s all in my head, not knowing if I can do something or not I assume I can’t!

Oh and watching my eating. Amazing how much those extra five kilos can weigh you down! ;) It’s baby steps there, started my journal again, and am learning slowly to look after myself better.

Any tips for slowly extending that distance are of course welcome ;) or anyone know of any I’m off the couch and doing 5k but want to do 10k programs? *giggles*

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Naomi November 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm

After I used the C25K I just increased my run a little each week to 10k. No programme, no pod cast, just me and google map!

Fiona November 2, 2010 at 8:18 pm

That’s probably what I need to do… unless I go Google “increase running from 5 to 10 k?! :p

Fifikins November 2, 2010 at 11:28 pm

There is a graduation C25K thingy that I saw somewhere (I think on one of the iPhone app updates!) that takes you to 10km and then a full half marathon (or is that what 10km is?) I need to get back to the C25K thing…
Fifikins recently posted..November challenge- 26 things- a photographic scavenger hunt!

Fiona November 3, 2010 at 7:25 am

Half marathon is 21km.. not even thinking about that one yet!

I don’t have an iphone, so no fancy iphone apps for me.

Lisa @bakebikeblog November 3, 2010 at 8:26 am

Two laps around LBG is actually not too bad – although it can be a little tedious! If you want a running buddy for your longer run let me know! :)
Lisa @bakebikeblog recently posted..Laps and lasagne

Shelley November 5, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Whenever we’re building distance, we just alternate weeks. Run your current five km one weekend, then increase distance the next weekend. Just divide up how many fortnights left and increase by the appropriate amount each time. You can do mid-week runs too, maybe one at 3 kms or something to keep you going. Don’t cross train too much at the gym as you get closer to the longer distance because you want to teach your body to run rather than do other stuff (specially as you have a good base level of gym stuff already). You don’t need to do the full ten in a long training run before the race, but with a distance like that I’d aim for at least 9.5. And if you can do ten a few times before the race you’ll be working on speed by that point which is kind of fun.

Oh, that’s the other thing. Work on going faster when you do the five each time, or adding hills and making it harder that way is good too, since you won’t be working on speed for the distance runs. You may find the distance run gets faster anyway near the end, although for me that generally only happens when I get over 16 kms (for a half marathon). I always aim to finish a new distance in a reasonable time but with a really good recovery. Don’t burn yourself out pushing right to the end of your strength getting to the end, instead train a little bit more (and generally go a tiny bit slower) and finish strong. Then you can build from that distance rather than never want to run again!

Personally I like to print out a calendar grid with the distances all mapped out which I can then scribble on as I miss runs or adjust distances. Seeing my plan makes me feel in control, and ticking off the increases makes me feel like I’m making progress. But I’m an anal-sciencey-planner type, your mileage may vary.

Once you consolidate at ten you’ll find the half marathon isn’t a big step up. Going from five to ten is actually harder, or was for me anyway. So you should look up some race schedules for six months further down the road ;-)

Shelley November 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm

And of course I never actually run anywhere ever, but Boyd uses similar programs for his running and walking really isn’t much different at these distances. I googled for stuff and there are plans out there for everything but meh, they’re generally too complicated and always based on time rather than distance. Alternating weeks is easy and it works.

Fiona November 6, 2010 at 1:42 pm

On time vs distance, yes, I would like to get my 5km a bit faster, but I’d ALSO like to challenge myself to get the further distance.

Fiona November 6, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I was thinking May, as the mothers day race is a big one here. 10km, lotsa people, that sorta thing.

I’ve don about 7 at most, but that was ages ago, I like the idea of trying to make a schedule, at least to push slightly each time.

Cool thanks for all your details :)