Yes, I’m the Devil’s Advocate. Girly Lego makes me want to raise a child without a disclosed gender

February 24, 2012 · 27 comments

Today I went to the Bloggers Brunch. targeted at Mummy Bloggers, I still went along, to schmooze with the companies and to see what was what in te blogosphere for parents. I nabbed the above products for my efforts. Oh and a glass off wine. And fruit.

While my fave goodies of the day were the stuff from the Lego Friends (aka girly) range, I couldn’t help but think back and realise I didn’t have girly lego. And I loved it.

Maybe I’m contradictory and going to screw up my offspring, but I love the idea of not needed BOY toys and GIRL toys. My niece has a Lamaze tool set to chew on. And I think that’s awesome. I don’t think I’d go this far, but if have a daughter, she will share my love of cricket and trains.

There’s nothing wrong with me, right? ;)

{ 27 comments }

1 Marita February 24, 2012 at 6:47 pm

At least Lego Friends beats that dreadful Belville Lego. However my girls just own regular Lego and love it.

2 Fiona February 24, 2012 at 6:50 pm

See, I missed the Belville boat, and I think I’m okay with that

3 Joe February 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I guess I’m playing the angel’s advocate, seeing as how my significant other works for lego.

I agree with your sentiments, and I had a cabbage patch kid growing up (admittedly this is seemingly less kosher in our society than girls playing with toys traditionally targeted at either gender).

Thing is though, not all kids are like you or like me. It seems like there’s plenty of girls who do like girls toys, and lego apparently see a market opportunity there that isn’t covered by their existing range.

Isn’t our wonderful choice-rich capatalist society great? ;)

J.

4 Fiona February 24, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I never had a cabbage patch doll.. Not a “Real” one, anyway.

The capitlaistic society gave me all this wheat laden food today to feed Rish heh.

5 Hannah February 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

God no! I loved being able to flick between my barbies, marbles, ping pong and (admittedly my brother’s) gameboy :)

Holy heavens mummy bloggers get a lot of free stuff?!

6 Fiona February 24, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Yes, you an I should have a pretend baby and really freak them out ;)

7 Hannah February 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

OH MY GOSH CAN WE? We need to think of the perfect name for an imaginary son to lesbian unmarried parents.

8 Fiona February 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I SERIOUSLY GOT A BABY NAME BOOK TODAY.

Give me a letter.

9 Hannah February 24, 2012 at 9:26 pm

P.

10 Fiona February 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm
11 Hannah February 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Pablo. Then he’s like my favourite poet :)

12 Fiona February 24, 2012 at 9:38 pm

How will we ever settle on a surname? Can we make one of them up too?

13 Fiona February 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I’m thinking “Tomorrow” would be a good surname for Pablo, as it takes parts of our surnameses

14 Hannah February 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Oooh, you so clever! We’ll have to spell it funny, though, like Tomhorrow, because of our Whyte/White Moore/More complexities :P

15 Fiona February 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm

This poor child is DOOMED

16 Joe February 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Vote for pablo!!

17 Terri-Anne February 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Why little girls stopped playing with Lego: Lego started branding themselves as a boys’ toy. Go back to the 60s and 70s, and Lego ads targeted both kids and parents, with no particular gender slant. Then they started emphasising boys in their advertising – and sales to girls started to slip, prompting a sudden desperate lurch towards making things in pastels.

See this page – http://www.themarysue.com/great-lego-friends-videos/ There are two videos on there that take a look at Lego advertising through the years and how it matches the slow erosion of girls playing with it. They’re longish, but really worth a watch.

18 Fiona February 25, 2012 at 8:34 am

Cool thanks for the links :)

19 Kazza the Blank One February 24, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Friends of mine tried very hard to raise their girl a geek/tomboy like them .. but the daughter would have none of it – she only liked *pink* and girly things, and my friends wondered how they failed ;)

20 Fiona February 25, 2012 at 8:23 am

Of course she did!! :)

Maybe I should go the ultra girly route and she can rebel?

21 Gary February 25, 2012 at 8:30 am

So cute, so tempting to buy little Lego stuff but then I MUST STOP buying stuff.

22 Fiona February 25, 2012 at 8:32 am

Yeah, I tried that, but it appears I can hoard a lot of stuff without paying for it….

23 Gary February 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

My alternative it I buy stuff, play with it for a bit and then give it away.

Last time I changed offices, I made a pact with our branch EA, “Gary will not hoard paperwork”. So far it’s working. Some days I have no idea about things, but the office looks good :-)

24 Fiona February 25, 2012 at 8:45 am

That just leaves me hoarding electronic documents rather than printed ones ;)

25 Gary February 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Next step is hitting delete on a lot of folders in my share drive

26 Lulu February 25, 2012 at 9:53 pm

My boys are still little but they love their duplo. I am pretty sure that they would love it still even if it was pink.

THey have dolls and a play kitchen too- I think this is fine and normal but my husband didn`t think so. He also didn`t think I should buy regular duplo for our niece because it is a “boy” toy….I am still working on him in terms of his gender misconceptions :D

27 Georgie February 27, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Ok, so I admit I work for LEGO and my opinions etc here are my own and not on behalf of my company. I too LOVED my LEGO as a kid. They didn’t have themed sets then, it was just loads of bricks and building plates. My parents still have the massive bag of the stuff in their roof (hoping for grandkids one day, hopefully my older sister will oblige). Thing is, I also loved Barbie. I played with Tonka trucks and I played with matchbox cars. I also had a cabbage patch doll and played cops and robbers with my friends (male and female) in our street.

As Joe, finely pointed out above, there are still girls that don’t actually like the boyish stuff that a lot of us do. This product certainly does cater to them. It’s not exclusionary, and I can guarantee you, every little girl that sees this stuff falls in love with it. So, while it might seem to be gender stereotyping – I don’t see how it’s any different to Star Wars themed LEGO, or Alien themed or Ninja themed, all primarily something boys would be drawn to. Where were all the outcries about gender stereotyping when LEGO started doing this?

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: