It's been so long since I'd been to Goldberg's on Darby Street that I'd never checked in there on Foursquare! - the little lioness

Untitled

So, I used o go to Goldberg’s on Darby Street Newcastle all the time. I have memories of playing Euchre with Rish and his parents there after a day at the beach during high school. With a mini Pochacco deck of cards.

Untitled

I was so happy with the breakfasts we got there over the weekend. A HUGE fruit salad for me, pancakes for Rish, and bacon and eggs for our visiting friend.

Untitled

We’re spoilt for choice in the hipster Mecca of Newcastle :)

Comments

comments

14 comments for “It’s been so long since I’d been to Goldberg’s on Darby Street that I’d never checked in there on Foursquare!

1. Kelkel
    May 25, 2012 at 8:45 am

In my experience goldbergs is the most wanky, overhyped, overrated restaurant in Newcastle. I’ve had two meals there and both of them were overpriced and terrible. Just because it’s so dark at night that you can’t see the meals, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have to COOK them. >:\

• May 25, 2012 at 8:53 am

Not a raw chicken experience? I hate raw chicken experiences :(

• Kelkel
        May 25, 2012 at 9:07 am

It was kangaroo actually, which is meant to be served rare, but this was blue and still refrigerator cold. I told a waiter that it wasn’t cooked and they turned up their nose and told me it was cooked the way it was meant to be. The boys couldn’t even eat it.

I can’t remember the second meal exactly, only that it was a safe, pub food option that I was vastly disappointed with for the price.

• Kelkel
          May 25, 2012 at 9:08 am

Oh yes, and it took half an hour to be served and an hour for the meals to come.

• May 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

That’s usually my experience at Grind!

• May 25, 2012 at 9:09 am

I was served frozen salmon once at a sushi place in Canberra .

It’s the defensiveness and telling you you’re wrong by waitstaff that really gets me. “Let us fix that for you” goes a long way

• Kelkel
            May 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

The only reason I’ve ever been back was for someone’s birthday.

2. Rish
    May 25, 2012 at 9:55 am

Wow Kel. My family and I have always had fantastic service at Goldbergs. The only reason we stopped going there regularly is that we like to go to Depot for variety (and Grind for the smoothies).

• May 25, 2012 at 1:30 pm

But not Grind for the service ;)

3. Shawna W. Nelson
    May 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Maybe need some feedback!

4. May 26, 2012 at 7:43 am

I used to go to Goldbergs a lot when I was younger but I haven’t been there for years now. I should check it out again for old times sake! Thanks for the reminder Fiona.

• May 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Let us know how it goes!

5. May 26, 2012 at 10:03 am

Looks lovely Fiona. I’ve done that too, gone to a really nice place and forgotten to check in :-)

• May 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Nah, I remembered to check in, I was just surprised that it was my first time!