I’m a bit more like Melbourne, Four Seasons in one Day

December 1, 2012 · 6 comments

Transcript
April 10, 2006

Dear Crystal,

I’m so sorry to hear that life is getting you down at the moment. Goodness knows, it can be so tough when nothing seems to fit and little seems to be fulfilling. I’m not sure there’s any specific advice I can give that will help bring life back its savour. Although they mean well, it’s sometimes quite galling to be reminded how much people love you when you don’t love yourself that much.

I’ve found that it’s of some help to think of one’s moods and feelings about the world as being similar to weather:

Here are some obvious things about the weather:

It’s real.
You can’t change it by wishing it away.
If it’s dark and rainy it really is dark and rainy and you can’t alter it.
It might be dark and rainy for two weeks in a row.

BUT

It will be sunny one day.
It isn’t under one’s control as to when the sun comes out, but come out it will.
One day.

It really is the same with one’s moods, I think. The wrong approach is to believe that they are illusions. They are real. Depression, anxiety, listlessness – these are as real as the weather – AND EQUALLY NOT UNDER ONE’S CONTROL. Not one’s fault.

BUT

They will pass: they really will.

In the same way that one has to accept the weather, so one has to accept how one feels about life sometimes. “Today’s a crap day,” is a perfectly realistic approach. It’s all about finding a kind of mental umbrella. “Hey-ho, it’s raining inside: it isn’t my fault and there’s nothing I can do about it, but sit it out. But the sun may well come out tomorrow and when it does, I shall take full advantage.”

I don’t know if any of that is of any use: it may not seem it, and if so, I’m sorry. I just thought I’d drop you a line to wish you well in your search to find a little more pleasure and purpose in life.

Very best wishes

(Signed)

Stephen Fry

[source]

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Dermott Banana December 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Have you seen Mr Fry’s two-part series on Manic Depression? If you haven’t, I’ve got it somewhere on a hard disk. I’ll get it to you.

Fiona December 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm

No…. Sdend it my way!

Lauren December 2, 2012 at 7:37 pm

So nicely put.

I also like to liken moods to weather, but wouldn’t have worded it so well.

Fiona December 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Not sure how, but I passed HS English.

Lauren December 2, 2012 at 8:46 pm

So nicely put.

I also like to liken moods to weather, but wouldn’t have worded it so well.

When I hear the Crowded House song “Weather With You”, I think about moods, and how you can’t really escape from them. No idea if that was the songwriters original intent. But hey, high school English taught me that you could layer your own interpretation onto anything… ;-)

Ms George {Life at the Coop} December 4, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I can’t believe you got a letter from Stephen Fry. Amazing! I can actually hear his voice as I read it. He is totally fabulous.
Ms George {Life at the Coop} recently posted..C is for: Christmas tree resentment