(a soundtrack to this post…..)
In no particular order, other than the tabs open in my browser…..
- Why do we care about Peter Greste and co’s ridiculous trial an imprisonment? Well, let’s see, if a white Aussie male can’t get justice, who can in this world? (or the Egyptian world anyway). In six months, the current regime will be the terrorists. Not saying the Muslim Brotherhood aint, I just know that in a world of suss elections and coups, the hero becomes the villain quickly. Especially when there is a silence put on freedom of press and information neither getting to the people of that country or the outside world. Peter Greste being imprisoned is not just about a few journalists being in jail, it’s about all the abhorrent things that a government or military can do when there is no-one there to report on it.
- 152 people are on a boat in distress nearing Christmas Island. Maritime code would say if anyone is nearby, you suck up the day or so out of your schedule and you pick these poor people up and feed them til you hit the next port. But that isn’t how it works once Australia is involved, hey Tampa crew? No, we figure that since they made it all the way from their persecution in Sri Lanka or India to “our” waters, clearly we can push back that boat. You know, because a 50/50 chance of torture is still good odds once they make it back.
- I used to have issues when the cops were called to assist with “behaviour management” at a special high school I visited….. no wonder these children were terrified enough to run away after their classmates go taken to immigration detention. These kids watch the news, they know the next step is offshore processing or self-immolation. I’d hide too.
- Franz Ferdinand married for love. So cool. Here’s a lemon that looks like a hand from one of their palaces in Vienna….
- Six months without income is insane.
- There better not be a wine shortage in Newcastle after this truck fire on the M1 today!
What’s on your mind today?
Powered by Facebook Comments