And how is that supposed to help? ~ the little lioness

And how is that supposed to help?

Apparently I’m now into the “employment pathway” stage where I have fortnightly appointments with the contracted employment consultant. If the appointment next time is like today, which it sounds like it will be, I will cry in the appointment and not just before and after it. That’s for sure.

We sat down. She says ti’s the 13 week appointment.

I of course feel like I’m getting in trouble.

Are you applying for jobs?

Yes. the ten a fortnight I’m supposed to.

Are you getting interviews?

Do you hate interviews?

Of course I do.

If you’re getting interviews you’ll get a job soon.

Oh yeah?

Have you looked on x job website?

No, because I have enough to look at on x y z.

What other jobs are you applying for?

Dunno, I applied for a couple of carers jobs, but a couple insisted on Cert III and the others said I was overqualified…

*sigh*

“It works better if you apply in person”

Yeah, sure. I do the phone calls to the numbers on the ads, but everything I have to apply for for speech has a process and selection criteria and so on.

And no, I’m not ready to give up and apply for retail.

Comments

comments

10 comments for “And how is that supposed to help?

1. September 16, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Ugh I am so glad that I don’t have to deal with any of that…yet. My partners daughter lost her job when she was 6 months pregnant and had to go through all of the job search stuff for Newstart. Of course no one really wants to hire a 6 month pregnant woman, and she couldn’t get an exemption from it until she was 36 weeks. I’ve also heard a few people say that they have had the centrelink interviews interfere with job interviews or even lost their casual job because they still had to attend the meetings.

• September 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm

That thing about the not being exempt while pregnant is supposed to also be applying for those poor kids under thirty who are gonn go without payment for 6 months if the budget passes….

Apparently, I really really should go get an assessment to get more support than this, that my mental illness should have been taken into account, and they shouldn’t really have just gone “oh, you have a degree, she’ll be right”>

But that’s on me now, to reapproach them about. Scary :(

• September 19, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Wow, that sounds ridiculous! So frustrating:-(

2. Sam
    September 17, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hang in there Fiona, I was out of work for over 6 months and went through the whole fun centrelink process to get a crappy amount of money every fortnight that didn’t even cover my bills. Went to interview after interview wondering what the hell was wrong with me, over qualified for retail roles I couldn’t even get a job at coles or woolworths. And the fun process of meeting with the employment agency that did not help me get one interview the whole time.

Finally I got a job, and it was worth the wait. Do you live in Sydney, what type of work are you looking for, I will keep my eyes and ears out for you.

• September 17, 2014 at 9:48 am

Hey there Samthanks for your awesome comment :)

I’m a paediatric speech pathologist and I live in Newcastle… and would like to be able to stay in that field! I’ve been applying all over NSW and some other places outside NSW – not sure if I wanna go interstate or whether I SHOULD go interstate for work…

I finished with my last employer at the start of December, started looking properly again around April…

3. September 19, 2014 at 11:13 am

I did this this morning. I am so close to tears. These stupid Centrelink looking for jobs appointments are so hideous. For me, what makes it worse is that I shouldn’t have to do them, cause I have children, so don’t have to work. But Centrelink are taking the time processing paperwork, meaning I have to turn up just to be told I don’t need to be there. And then I cry out of confusion. urgh!

• September 19, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Ugh sorry to hear that!!!! I hate the confusion when I’m told I doing the wrong thing!

4. September 19, 2014 at 12:41 pm

That sucks and the process should be so much simpler and easier but sadly too many people who have done the wrong thing have made it hard for legitimate people like yourself. I hope you get a job soon that you really enjoy and is a better pay than you’re used to.

• September 19, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Thanks Bec – fortunately if I DO get a job I like I’ll be well above average wages… which means some flexibility in if I take full r part time work, but jusst getting back on the horse is hard!!

5. September 19, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Sometimes I think recruitment agencies and employment consultants are useless. They should be helping you out with what you want to do, give you ideas, get you motivated, not intimidate you.