Shit-stirring on the Internet and Families don't mix! - the little lioness

Shit-stirring on the Internet and Families don’t mix!

YOu have enemies? GoodThat means that youve stood up for something at sometime

It’s a well known fact that the internet can let you express any opinion you want.

Any opinion you want, that is, so long as you’re prepared to be challenged, laughed at, or just plain torn down.

I thought EVERYONE knew this, until a recent encounter.

This post by The Friendly Atheist was doing the rounds. How do you spot a fake psychic? They claim to be psychic. You know, not an out there opinion, but it was in reply to some “real” psychics advising their victims how to spot a “fake” psychic.

Chuckled at this, posted it, and then had a reply from someone saying that they believed in psychics so each to his own.

A couple of days later, this same girl posted that she was going to a psychic fair, and I quipped to my boyfriend “I don’t see myself making it” and LOL’d at the terribleness of the joke, and so had to share it immediately….

Theres a psychic fair in tamworth I dont see myself making it

So groanworthy. And when I got a “lol” at the end of a comment I thought all was well.

Until a barrage of messages complaining to the bf that I’m a closed minded bitch. Cue my trying to explain that people critisize ideas on the internet, and that while she was the trigger for my hilarious joke, it didn’t make me not like her. But you know, I’m the bad guy for suggesting she lighten up, and that she might want to look outside her own experience. But then, I’m the closed minded childish one, not the people who has her hands over her ears going LALALALA.

Then this James Randi doco popped up on Reddit – Exposed: Magicians, Psychics and Frauds, but she wouldn’t have a bar of it. It’s been pulled from most video sites now, but if you can hunt it, it’s totally worth the watch!!!

Oh well. I’ve been blocked now and have ruined everything, but you know, people will move on in time, and I’m sure my mischievous nature will put me on someone else’s naughty list soon. (yeah I know this post is no olive branch and will only cause more trouble!)

read the fine print

My take-away from this? Relatives and Facebook don’t mix. Not for me anyway!

Have you even regretted expressing your opinion online?

Comments

comments

13 comments for “Shit-stirring on the Internet and Families don’t mix!

1. January 23, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I’ve found that no matter what opinion you are expressing, there is without a doubt someone who is going to disagree with you, no matter how innocuous it is. I’ve also learnt that my own opinions aren’t infallible, and I kind of figure that someone disagrees with me that’s fine. Some people just seem to hold onto the beliefs that little bit closer. I go with the Socratic viewpoint of “I know that I know nothing”. I might express an emphatic opinion that could well change in several years. It’s happened before and I’m sure it will happen again. LOL. That’s why I don’t see my opinions as sacred, so they’re fair game like everything else.

2. January 23, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I am absolutely terrible at confrontation, so I tend to keep my opinions to myself, except politically, which hardly makes sense really. So, relatives and my political opinions don’t mix very well and I have had arguments with 2 relatives over our differing opinions but they’re my family so I am stuck with them :)

• January 23, 2015 at 2:33 pm

My father likes Andrew Bolt. Fortunately he is not on facebook.

What gets me is the racism that some family members spout….

3. January 23, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Oh gosh yes! It takes wisdom to know when to not type your view because you know you’ll get attacked. I laughed out loud at your status. Very clever!

• January 23, 2015 at 5:37 pm

It also takes some sort of level of confidence to post it regardless.

4. January 24, 2015 at 12:42 am

My Granny is on Facebook (I quickly blocked that ‘people you may know request) and so is her twin sister. They are both like those old people memes. They ring each other all the time talking about what their grandchildren or children have done and we usually get in trouble. That is, until we realise that the ‘hot guy’ Aunty so and so is dating is actually a meme, they just took it literally. I also made the mistake of writing a post about how fucked up my mothers perception of my weight is. That resulted in her having a big arse rant on my Facebook status about what a selfish bitch I was. Then didn’t talk to me for 6 months. It was quite possibly the best 6 months of my life lol!

• January 25, 2015 at 8:15 am

“It was quite possibly the best 6 months of my life lol!”

Hahahaha love it.

5. susan
    January 25, 2015 at 5:54 am

My 36 year old daughter just made my shit list. Heather Faas. #1 because she can’t own up to her mistakes. Always showing pictures of drinking alcohol has had numerous abortions. Thinks she has done the best in her life, but some day the past will bite her in the ass. Yeah you have everything because your husband’s parents made your life easier with money. Go to hell.

• January 25, 2015 at 8:14 am

Damn, I’m glad you’re not MY mother.

6. January 26, 2015 at 10:48 pm

This whole thing really interests me because since I have started blogging even before the fingers hit the keys I feel I am editing, filtering my real thoughts to make sure they are palatable – because I already know that I will somewhere, somehow offend someone along the way. I am also so aware of the trolls out there and how they love dropping those bombs that get people all fired up. I haven’t received any extreme criticism yet – but know it is only a matter of time before I get hit in between the eyes. Do you do lots of editing or sanitising? Mel

• January 27, 2015 at 11:26 am

I sometimes edit and sanitise and sometimes just go fuck it and say it anyway, which gets me into trouble!

7. January 30, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Not so much online but IRL I say what I think and right now in the midst of being blocked by someone I thought was as friend. Some people are SO ridiculous. My olive branch was BURNED so fuck it I’m not begging. If one apology isn’t enough then MEH!