My name is Fiona, and, yes, I’m rather cynical when it comes to the gay//equal marriage movement. I try to articulate why. but it can be hard to when the world you live in is full of weddings and babies and people wondering why someone might be content with the already happening legal recognition of relationships, or even the, supposed, equality that “WILL” come by saying people can marry.
So, in Australia, defacto relationships actually afford the same protections as state or religious sanctioned marriages.
Yeah, so I shack up with a guy or a girl for 6 months or so, and, legally, it’s seen as a marriage, in that I have property rights. Yep, his/her shit could be mine. Remember 2008 where everything except Howard’s precious “vows” became equal? When your pensions and Centrelink payments were combined, when Health insurers considered you a couple?
Yeah, so everything except that state-sanctioned vow is legal.
yeah, some of you want it…. but having to have your relationship sanctioned by the state…. doesn’t that make you turn in your early grave? I need Abbott to say my love is legit…. *spew* I’ll pass..
And continue to live in “sin” and so on. Have your white wedding, I just hope it brings you the hope you thought it would.
1) Being gay is not natural
– And real people always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, hearing aids, polyester, and air conditioning, tattoos, piercings and silicon breasts
2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay
– In the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall, or hanging around black people will make you black.
3) Legalising gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behaviour.
– People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract. Lamps are next. Who knows, Mormons might want to have multiple spouses. What’s that? They already do?
4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’ t changed at all
– Hence why women are still property, blacks still can’ t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed
– And we can’t let the sanctity of Britney Spears’ 55- hour just- for- fun marriage be destroyed
6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children
– So therefore, gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our population isn’t out of control, our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.
7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children,
– Since, of course, straight parents only raise straight children.
8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion.
– In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in Australia.
(Did I miss the lesson where Jesus says He hates gays? )
9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home.
– Which is exactly why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms .
– Just like we haven ‘t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, multiculturalism, social welfare or longer life spans.