Too Young ~ the little lioness

Too Young

Got news via text on Christmas Day, about 6pm, that my former workmate who was recently diagnosed with bowel cancer had passed away that morning in a hospital in Sydney.

She was 26.

I saw her less than 6 months ago, happy and healthy (looking), embarking on a new adventure on the South Coast with her fiancée. Starting a new job, new stage of life.

But she didn’t get to see the year out.

This is not a downer of a post. It’s just a reflective one.

Take care of yourself. Get things checked out if they don’t seem right. You still might not have a chance against your biology, but you might. Look after each other. Look after your mental health.

Plan for the future, and your future health, but enjoy now.

*hugs*

Comments

comments

11 comments for “Too Young

1. January 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm

So sorry love. A close friend of my mum died of bowel cancer last year, in her mid-fifties. Still too young. *hugs*

• January 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Thanks, gorgeous.

2. January 7, 2011 at 8:23 am

oh that serioulsy sends shivers down my spine. So very very sad :(

3. Naomi
    January 7, 2011 at 10:06 am

That is so sad.
    Cancer has struck my family twice, both parents. It is a bitch of a disease, but I agree, get things checked. Better to be a bit embarrassed that it was nothing than to not check at all.

• January 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Yup. All for keeping my GP employed by checking on things!

4. January 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

Sorry to hear. That is young. After a number of passings in my family, and some very near misses, I’ve also learned to enjoy every moment.

5. January 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm

(hugs)
    I’m so sorry your friend lost her battle after such a short time and so young.
    Cancer robs so many families of loved ones…some are detected too late.
    Timely advice as we all head into a New Year – the ad from Cancer council.
    I live in fear everyday for my husband who was diagnosed with a malignant cancer in April 2010.
    He had surgery & radiotherapy, several scans since and one in 3 wks …to check he is still ok. All the same it is terrifying not knowing what the future holds.
    He is good at the moment.
    “Plan for the future, and your future health, but enjoy now” – so true

• January 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

It’s that ongoing thing isn’t it? That wonder of if it will return. I hope that your husband is clear and stays clear!

• January 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Yes, the ongoing fear undoes me some days
        (It shouldn’t but I have a nursing background and I think I know too much …I should just stop thinking) I am sure him too – everytime he gets a headache, pain or a cough my heart starts to race. :(

• January 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

:\ Knowledge is both power and a curse.

• January 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm

A close friend lost her 7 yr battle with breast cancer in 2010. I live by her wish that I MAKE SURE I enjoy life – you never know how much time is left.

Have a great weekend!