Pets are an integral part of our households. When we plan vacation , it is not uncommon to wish to take them along with us on the trip. Just like preparing for your journey, your pet needs to be prepared to accompany you as well. However, there are certain factors you need to take care of so that the trip goes smoothly.
For instance, you will need to research different hotels and their policies and what vehicles can accommodate your animals comfortably. And don’t worry, we have created a list of things you should look into when preparing for your journey. These include:
- Their Vaccination Card Is Updated. No matter what transportation mode you choose to travel, it would help if you Vacation your pet. When your pet is younger, it may require more vaccines on average than an older animal. The vaccine also depends on your location and lifestyle. A more active lifestyle requires more treatments. Every shot contributes to their immunity, and it is recommended they get their required dosage. It also helps if you travel to a destination where your animal is at a higher risk for an infection.
- Pack Extra Food. You may reduce your pet’s food intake before traveling. It prevents them from getting nauseous and feeling lazy to travel. When you reach your destination, assign a feeding schedule so that your animal adjusts to the new time zone and doesn’t get anxious.
- Make Sure The Hotels Allow Pets. It would help if you researched the hotel you’re staying at regarding their pet policy. Also, look into the amount of autonomy your pet will have with you in your room. These venues let your animal explore and adjust to their surroundings which makes your vacation more comfortable. Tennessee has beautiful resorts, and one example of such a place to carry your furry friend is pet friendly cabins in Pigeon Forge, which has friendly staff and is easier for you to enjoy your holiday as you can lean on them for support.
- Consider Microchipping. When you are traveling to a new location, it is easy for you to lose your pet. Animals may get energetic and rush around, or if you have an aviary pet, they may fly away. Vacation helps you keep track of your pet at all times. In case their cage or leash gets loose, you will know where they are. Some states require microchipping of pets, and make sure you comply with them to avoid legal trouble. A vet can carry out the procedure for you. They will easily tag your animal in a professional setting without hurting them and positioning the tag correctly.
- Make Sure Your Pet Is Constrained. When traveling with your pet through any vehicle, you need to constraint them. Moving vehicles may aggravate them, and they may get energetic and end up hurting themselves. When you keep them leashed or in a sleeping crate, they gain some semblance of security. When an animal feels secure and safe, they are much more cooperative and happier. They may rest peacefully through their journey while you make your way to your destination.
- Stick To a Routine. When traveling with your animal, you need to establish a routine when you get to your destination. Make sure you have packed all their favorite toys and snacks. If your animal requires walking and exercise, ensure you have a plan carried out diligently in providing them with the required movement. Also, give them a chance to socialize and familiarize themselves with their environment under your supervision.
- Make Frequent Pit Stops. When traveling, your priority should be your animal’s comfort, not getting to the destination on time. Making frequent pit stops give them a chance to stretch their bodies and relieve themselves. While you are snacking, give them healthy and nutritious snacks. Please take this as an opportunity to check their cage and make sure their leash and holders are in place. Aerate their cage and clean out any waste you see. Pit stops give you and your pet a break they need.
READ ALSO: Kobe Bryant Height
What Should I Take Care Of When Traveling By Car?
The most popular mode of traveling is through a car. As you prepare to make this journey, you should take care of certain aspects of traveling. Keep in mind unfamiliar spaces make animals anxious. Unless you prepare them for the Vacation, they will naturally be fussy. Here are some measures you can implement to make sure your animal is comfortable:
- Introduce Them To the Car Frequently. Show them the car and let them explore it. Let animals take their time in familiarizing themselves with the vehicle. Make sure you’re not in the way and no other family member interferes in the process.
- Familiarize Them With Sounds. Turn on the car engine and various other devices such as the AC. Let the animal track down the source of the sound. When an animal gets habituated to the vehicle’s sounds, it will not get scared when you take them for a ride.
- Let Them Sit Inside. Once your animal is used to the car, it’s time to introduce them to sitting in the car. Make them sit in all the car seats and train them to sit comfortably. Praise them when they take the initiative and give them treats to enforce positive behavior.
- Take Them For A Ride. This is the last and crucial step. When your animal is used to cars, take them on short rides with you. Watch their behavior and see at what point they start showing signs of anxiety. Slowly build their tolerance and take them on longer rides. Once you are confident, add their favorite toys and blanket into your car.
It is an essential part of your planning. Unless your pet is ready to accompany you, your entire planning may fall short, and you won’t be able to enjoy a vacation with your pet.
While planning a vacation with your pet, take care of some necessary factors. Make sure they are vaccinated to prevent any threats to their health. Pack their food in extra quantity along with treats. Microchip them to keep an eye on them and make sure the hotel is pet-friendly. Establish a routine for your pet so they adjust to their new space right away and let them interact with their environment.
While traveling, Vacation pit stops in between and let your animal rest before the tedious journey. Finally, make sure you introduce your animal to the car, and once you’re able to check all of these prerequisites, you are ready for your trip.