Picked up some free range pork scotch fillets at Woolies, and wondered what to marinate them in. I ended up deciding on a garlic, ginger, sweet chili and soy sauce mix. It turned out wonderfully with the roast veg and a bed of baby spinach.
What would you use?
And this new Yellow Tail “Big Bold Red” ($9.99)
I’ve been saying it all year, the Aldi El Toro Macho Tempranillo is the best $5 wine ever, and beats out soooooo many $15 wines on taste and drinkability.
And now the critics agree. Six Aldi wines, including this one, were ranked in the top 280 available in Australia. And there’s a damn lot of wines available here!
So, buy it! You won’t be disappointed!
Who wants to see the Shiraz I’ve been drinking? You? Yay!!!
First up we have a 2012 Zilzie, picked up on a 2-for-1 deal at First Choice Liquor, normally $11/bottle. Very easy to drink, not too heavy table wine :)
This Rook’s Lane 2013 was in a mix dozen of reds I got from WineMarket.com.au via a Groupon deal. It has a cool bird on the label! He looks mean. And tough. Like a shiraz drinker! :p
Also from that box, the Crackerjack shiraz. This one also looks serious. A woody.
Malindi Vitners from the Clare Valley. Pretty much can’t go wrong with the Clare Valley, though my go-to from that region is a dry Riesling :)
For years I was scared of drinking Wolf Blass. The story goes, I was on a lunch cruise on the Tuggerah Lakes with my boyfriend, and a bottle of Wolf Blass sparkling white was included. They mustn’t have washed out glasses properly, because the wine tasted soapy, and I couldn’t detatch that from the thought of Wolf Blass. But, I’ve moved on. And this Eaglahawk was delish!
And Ol’ faithful. The “Clean Skins” CR01 Shiraz from Dan Murphy’s / BWS. Not the DM04. The DM04 is cheaper, and you do notice the 50c difference on a $4.99 bottle :p
We used a Groupon deal (still available as of writing this) to go to Inner City Winemakers in Wickham for a (private, because there was noone else there and it was cold and miserable outside) wine tasting that came with cheese and a couple of discounted bottles to take home (and are sitting waiting for an excuse to drink them, like, you know, I get a job or something!)
We went through the progression from sparking, to white, red and then finished with a WONDERFUL Tokay (grapes from Rutherglen, which I’ve decided is a MUST for an Australian Tokay) straight from the barrel that I will be purchasing for Christmas.
Some wonderful wines, with the reds made onsite, the whites in the Hunter, from grapes sources from the Hunter, Orange and New England (Tenterfield!)
The Street Art Series wines are both wonderfully full of flavour and have such delightful labels – again, great gifts for fathers day or Christmas!
We went home with the Cabernet Merlot and the Sangiovese Shiraz, though if finances allowed there would have been a bubbly and a Tokay in there!!
Inner City Winemakers
28 Church Street
Wickham, NSW 2293
Phone: 02 4962 3545
Road tripped to Tamworth for the weekend, and included an impromptu (as in “Look! Cheese Shop!”) stopover at the Hunter Belle Cheese shop on the New England Highway just outside Muswellbrook.
We picked up their three cheese pack with fig compote and wafer biscuits ($17), and continued on the road til we pulled over at Burning Mountain for wine (brought from Newcastle) and cheeses.
Improvising with a blade out of the toolbox, we nommed down those cheeses, while looking out over the view.
The blue was nice and hard and sharp. Perfect with the Poet’s Corner Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon we were drinking straight from the bottle.
Next up was the herbed cheese – thyme was the major flavour – reminding me of Bruce’s garlic and herb bread. It had a crumbly texture reminiscent of a sharp Mersey Valley cheese.
The brie by itself was underwhelming, but teamed with the fig compote, omg! Yum!
How good is cheese? Who makes your favourite?
(a soundtrack to this post…..)
In no particular order, other than the tabs open in my browser…..
- Why do we care about Peter Greste and co’s ridiculous trial an imprisonment? Well, let’s see, if a white Aussie male can’t get justice, who can in this world? (or the Egyptian world anyway). In six months, the current regime will be the terrorists. Not saying the Muslim Brotherhood aint, I just know that in a world of suss elections and coups, the hero becomes the villain quickly. Especially when there is a silence put on freedom of press and information neither getting to the people of that country or the outside world. Peter Greste being imprisoned is not just about a few journalists being in jail, it’s about all the abhorrent things that a government or military can do when there is no-one there to report on it.
- 152 people are on a boat in distress nearing Christmas Island. Maritime code would say if anyone is nearby, you suck up the day or so out of your schedule and you pick these poor people up and feed them til you hit the next port. But that isn’t how it works once Australia is involved, hey Tampa crew? No, we figure that since they made it all the way from their persecution in Sri Lanka or India to “our” waters, clearly we can push back that boat. You know, because a 50/50 chance of torture is still good odds once they make it back.
- I used to have issues when the cops were called to assist with “behaviour management” at a special high school I visited….. no wonder these children were terrified enough to run away after their classmates go taken to immigration detention. These kids watch the news, they know the next step is offshore processing or self-immolation. I’d hide too.
- Franz Ferdinand married for love. So cool. Here’s a lemon that looks like a hand from one of their palaces in Vienna….
- Six months without income is insane.
- There better not be a wine shortage in Newcastle after this truck fire on the M1 today!
What’s on your mind today?
I feel like such a wuss, wearing a beanie in Newcastle in May, when Canberra is my beanie and scarf collection’s spiritual home.
- Death :: Star
- Skirt :: hem
- Lust :: for life
- You :: and me
- Repeat :: over and over
- Exhaustion :: done
- Obstruction :: destruction
- Secret :: society
- Shiny :: happy people
- Tell :: me more
You mean I have to drink wine everyday with these glasses? Good thing they’re my sister’s! We moved her into a new place with the kids, and she fed us wine and pizza…
Double sausage pizza and a free dessert pizza – Black Forest crumble – from Crust. I didn’t have the sweet one but the savoury was awesome.
Because I am so behind in so many ways
Baked Camembert. At the Blog Chicks meet this month at the South Sydney Graphic Arts Club which was very much Workers Club not hippie arts centre!
Smirnoff Coconut and Pineapple. Though you can’t taste the pineapple. The Honey one is foul, though :/
Cooking for people other than just myself
With Hello Kitty pasta and Bertolli olive oils
Fish and chips.
Breakfast at Frankie’s Place on Darby
Meat. This was at Lowenbrau on the weekend for the lovely Kazza’s 40th :) mmm meaty.
Colourful socks and tights
Hello Kitty body sprays
I received my ticket to the Good Food and Wine Show from Chobani. It is, like, the most awesome Greek yoghurt out there. Seriously.
I was supposed to go with friends to the Good Food and Wine show. But they were sicked with the cold that’s been going around, and only let me know an hour before we were meant to meet *sadface* So, I was left to wander and sample on my own. Here are my thoughts…
Ahem…. Maybe I don’t share my thoughts on that pic ;)
Skinny Girl Cocktails were vamping it up, with skinny girls in mini skirts, and offering samples of their cocktails and also massages (not that I could be bothered waiting!). The Margarita was good. Ready to drink, with some rimming salt ;)
I dabbled in some Avocado oil. Hmmm… Think I’ll stick with Olive for the price…
There was a crapload of cider for sampling. Of which I tried none :(
I had a good chat to the people of Rowie’s Cakes about how great it was that they were supplying to the Qantas QFML and VGML range :) And their ANZAC bikkies were awesome.
333s Gherkins and I go way back….
Can I have the Ritter Sport Bag?????? Please???
Then there was a stand that made me miss Hannah :/
Mmm Conscious Chocolate…
And coffee… Sweet sweet coffee…